School Bus Information
The Hawai‘i State Department of Education (HIDOE) provides bus service in neighborhoods around theislands to ensure broad access to educational opportunities for students. Paper applications are available atyour school where services are applicable or online at http://hi.etrition.com/busapplication.
Application periods for School Year 2023-2024
Quarter 1: July 17, 2023 – August 31, 2023
Quarter 2: September 18, 2023 – October 31, 2023
Quarter 3: November 27, 2023 – January 31, 2024
Quarter 4: February 19, 2024 – April 30, 2024
Applications must be submitted on a QUARTERLY basis and will not be accepted outside of the indicated periods so please plan accordingly. NO ANNUAL PASSES.
Students in grades K-5 must reside one (1) mile or more from their home school.Students in grades 6-12 must reside one and a half (1.5) miles or more from their home school. Student must be actively enrolled in a HIDOE public school that has bus service available.
Public School Bus Service does not apply to the following:
Students who reside within the minimum qualifying distances; Students who attend a school outside the home school attendance area; and Students who require transportation to destinations other than home.
Regular school bus service is limited to transportation from the student’s residential address on record to school and back home again.HIDOE school buses do not travel on private property or private roads. This includes, but is not limited to private developments, apartment complexes, business parking or drive areas. HIDOE school bus stops and travel will be limited to paved and/or maintained public roads and public access roads. If you live on a private road, you may need to drive your student/s to the nearest bus stop.
Do not attach your payment to the application form
Upon the approval of your bus application, all bus riders (except those who are approved for free bus service) must pay the prevailing transportation fee. Payment options include:
- Quarterly -- $72 roundtrip (AM and PM service)
- Quarterly -- $36 one way (AM only or PM only)
For manual applications, payment is due once the application is approved. Payment must be submitted prior to the start of service.
Accepted forms of payment include:
- Cashier’s Check
- Money Order
We no longer accept personal checks as payment.
For applications submitted online, you will receive an email notification to pay via EZSchool Pay once the application is approved by the school.
Students who meet one or more of these qualifiers are eligible to receive a free quarterly bus pass:
- Student receives free meals (subject to approval)
- Student is a foster child
- Student is homeless and eligible for benefits under the McKinney-Vento Act (MVA)
- Student has an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Modified Plan (MP) that includes transportation as a related service (special education only)
- Student is directed by HIDOE to attend a school outside of the home school attendance area
- Student has at least three older siblings who pay the transportation fee at their respective schools If your child meets one or more of these qualifiers, please complete Part 3 of the bus pass application form, making sure to check off all of the qualifying categories that apply and select the appropriate pass option.